Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Coming Home to Roost

After posting about losing my camera a while back, a friend got in touch with me letting me know that there was an extra camera in his household that wasn't being used, and I could have it if I wanted to. Yes I did! I was thrilled.

And I had the camera with me on my way home from work yesterday and managed to catch a few shots of the crows heading to their roost.









Keep in mind, that this is just a couple of sections of the sky and one portion of the flock. It usually takes about a half hour for all the crows to fly overhead at any given point. This flock is coming from the north west. I've also seen them flying in from the east and the north. So that should give you an idea of the numbers of birds we're talking about here. I'm guessing it's about an 1/8 of the human population of Ottawa.

These crows will probably hang out in a few 'staging areas' near the roost, before they make their way to the actual roost to settle in for the night.

If I can I'll try and snap some pics of the roost soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was driving East on Heron Road on Friday night, and I saw all the crows flying to their roost. It was a wonderful sight that I've never noticed before. Thanks for making me look up!

Amber said...

Glad you spotted them! I was at the roost on Saturday. The nearly full moon was up and the crows were just getting settled in for the night. I don't think I'll ever stop being fascinated by the sight.

Urban Girl said...

I've put in a request for Crow Planet at the library - thanks! I love what you are sharing about the book. This entry paralleled a short story that Lisa Couturier wrote on following crows to their roost. Her "urban landscape" book is called "The Hopes of Snakes". You may enjoy reading it too!