Monday, January 23, 2012

Suds


I hope my recent spate of posts on household frugality aren't becoming too tiresome for readers. I suspect I'm probably mostly preaching to the choir anyway. It's just that, being deep in winter hibernation mode at the moment, I have a lot of time to look around my space and reflect on my habits and daily routines. I have the time to make changes and shift patterns if I want, and so the subject of frugality is all very top of mind. I'm just going to go with it while it lasts.

This weekend I made my own laundry soap. For the past couple of years I have been getting bulk refills of environmentally friendly dish and laundry soap. I really like having this option because it significantly cuts down on packaging. However it is fairly expensive, the store where I buy the soap is in an area I don't frequent regularly, so I would make special trips just to go there, and sometimes they would be out of what I was looking for. I've also become increasingly concerned with the use of palm oil in detergents (even environmentally friendly ones).

So when I came across this easy method of making my own laundry soap, very inexpensively and with relatively safe ingredients, that is nearly waste free, I jumped at the chance to give it a try.


This was so quick and easy to make, I washed my first load of laundry with the soap within a half hour of starting the process. Time will tell how well it compares to the detergent I was using before, but I have a feeling making my own laundry soap will become part of the routine from now on.

I also found this recipe, using the same ingredients, to make a large amount of laundry powder. I might try it at some point as well, although I'll probably halve the amount.

I'd love to hear from anyone else making their own laundry soap and what the experience has been like!

2 comments:

Tony R said...

Thanks for the video, I love the idea of reducing packaging. Over the years, I have just stop buying stuff (Not laundry soap) because of all the packaging...now I'm learning I can just make it all at home.

Do you agree with the narrator that this soap works better?

Amber said...

Well I did a load of whites yesterday and noticed that they seemed brighter than usual, and some old stains, that the other stuff I used never got out, are gone now. The soap doesn't leave any residue behind and my clothes smell clean and fresh!

It did congeal like she said it would, and shaking it up liquified it again, but it still is a little gloopy. That doesn't seem to make a difference though in performance. I'm happy with it so far. :) I can't believe I haven't been doing this for ages already.