Friday, June 8, 2012

On Vacation

Guys!  Summer is nearly here.  What with all the packing, moving and unpacking, I feel like I the whole spring season pretty much passed me by while I was inside putting away clothes, hanging pictures on the walls and arranging book shelves.

I also feel like I have been spending far too much time in front of the screen.  I love the indulgence in winter, but it is a bad habit the rest of the year; one that I need to break.  I mean, I 've been watching Beverly Hills 90210 everyday on netflix ferpetessake!  I'm not 17 anymore.  Sheesh.  Although, I do have to say that aside from the fashion, 'car phones' and huge camcorders, the show holds up reasonably well after 20 years.  And you know what else?  I don't recall the show being all that influential or important to me when it originally aired, but now that I'm watching the series again, I  remember all the episodes and I'm like, "Oh yeah, this is the one where Brenda pretends she's in college and dates an older guy and gets in over her head." Or, "This is the one about teenage drinking where we learn that Dylan is an alcoholic."  Crrraaazy!

And it's not just 90210.  It's Games of Thrones.  It's Mad Men.  It's the Walking Dead.  It's Facebook.  It's online Scrabble.  It's blogs.  It's too much.

So I've decided that I'm going on a screen holiday, a strategic treatment interruption if you will, in the parlance of the medical establishment.  I'm going to cut way back on how much time I spend online in favour of the great outdoors.  Less screen time = more green time!

So this here blog is going on vacation too.  For the rest of the summer my plan is to send along virtual postcards.  They'll be short and sweet, with a pic and about as many words as can fit on a postcard.  No pithy content or weighty matters.  Just a quick 'Hi!  This is where I am.  This is what I'm doing.  Wish you were here.'  That sorta thing.  First one's coming up next....

Have a great summer everyone!


No comments: